Adquet 2

Jum 4

Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Death Toll In Abuja Transformer Fire Rises To 12



The death toll from the transformer fire at Angwuan Tiv, a sprawling shanty settlement in Lugbe on the outskirts of Abuja has risen to 12. 

No fewer than five persons had been confirmed dead at the weekend when the transformer of the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) caught fire.
Sources claimed that death toll of the sad incident that occurred on Saturday night had risen to 12 as at Monday morning.
The incident left a tail of woes in its wake as several people were reported to have fainted from the shock, even as some homes were reportedly razed and electronic gadgets burnt following a power surge.
According to an eyewitness, who resides close to the transformer, the connection to the transformer exploded, apparently due to overloading causing the live and earth wire to join.
As a result, many homes served by the
transformer witnessed a sudden power surge that destroyed electrical and electronic equipment.
Independent gathered that those affected most were people that those who tried to put off their electrical and electronic devices.
The injured were rushed to nearby clinics and the dead deposited at Gwagwalada Teaching Hospital Mortuary, after formalities were
concluded at Lugbe police station.
Geoffrey Ukeje who mobilised a team of
rescuers told our correspondent in an interview that the nightmare of Saturday night’s unexpected deaths is still haunting him.
“I have tried to sleep since then but images of the dead bodies refuse to clear from my mind.
It was awful to see people who were with their families’ just die like that. I cannot confirm to you how many people died because as you can
see this place is huge.
“I can only tell those that I see. I personally, with some other people, took those that died on the sport to the mortuary. Two boys, and a woman, whom I learnt is a divorcee. She was
living right down there with her little son. She fell down as a result of the shock, died but the little boy ran out of the house. We have tried to locate her relatives who have taken custody
of the boy,” he said.
The witness said that unconfirmed reports claimed more deaths were discovered by Sunday morning. At Lugbe police station, the DPO was said to be out of the station but an officer who pleaded not to be quoted because he was not authorised to speak on the matter confirmed the Saturday incident.
He however denied reports that the death toll
had risen to 12.
A visit to the AEDC service centre within the
locality did not yield much either as the place was under lock and key.
It was gathered that staff of the company were directed by their bosses to quickly vacate the office for fear of attacks following the incident.

Post a Comment