A 31-year-old lady, who was detained at a divisional police station on Lagos Island, has accused the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of the station of raping her. The lady, identified simply as Miss Akinwunmi, alleged that the DPO, a Superintendent of Police (SP), instructed one Inspector Ajiduwe to bring her to his office for debriefing of her case.
The DPO (names withheld) allegedly pounced on the lady and raped her after Ajiduwe left the office. Akinwunmi, who claimed she was arrested on April 15, about 1am, added that she was reported to the police by her ‘madam,’ identified as Mrs Pelumi, who runs a local cafeteria at number 11, Keffi Road, Ikoyi, Lagos State.
“I was detained in the cell and about 10pm, one Inspector Ajiduwe brought me out and took me to the DPO’s office, where he raped me in his office without protection. He threatened to send me to prison if I tell anyone. I later paid N10,000 to the policemen at the station for my bail,” the lady said. Akinwunmi, who gave the name of her Investigating Police Officer (IPO) as one Inspector Taiwo, complained that since the rape incident, she had been experiencing stomach pains.
A police source said the DPO was fond of raping female detainees in his custody. “This is the fourth time he has been accused of raping detainees in his care,” the source added. When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Briade, said it was a grievous allegation.
She added that the police hierarchy was still investigating allegation. But the Network on Police Reforms in Nigeria (NOPRIN Foundation), a Non- Governmental Organisation (NGO), which has taken up the matter, said that the girl and her boyfriend yesterday were trying to get police report that would enable them go to a general hospital for a medical examination.
NOPRIN’s spokesman, Okechukwu Nwanguma, said he had spoken with the girl and she confirmed the story. He said: “The boyfriend said that they are both ready to fight and seek justice. The DPO and I spoke.
Although he denied the allegation as expected, his voice was trembling and he was panicking. I have asked the girl to go for a medical examination. “NOPRIN is shocked at the information it received today from Miss Akinwunmi that a DPO raped her in his office on Tuesday, April 15, 2014.
“She said that the DPO forcefully had carnal knowledge of her without protection in his office after he had threatened to send her to prison. She was released after the IPO, one Inspector Taiwo, extorted the sum of N10,000 from her. “Now, she complains of severe stomach pains following the said sexual abuse by the DPO. “NOPRINI has inquired from the DPO.
Although he naturally denied the allegation, but his shaky voice and incoherent speech betrays a sense of guilt. He also said the victim could come back and collect the N10,000 bribe they extorted from her after raping her.
“NOPRIN commends ACP Edgal Imohimid, Area Commander, Lion Building, for ensuring that the victim gets a police report to enable her to go for medical examination and report. This was initially denied her by the officers she met at the station before NOPRIN called on the area commander to intervene.”
I want to wish all of you my wonderful friends and blog readers a Happy Easter! I wish everyone a day filled with enjoyment, friends and family. In the midst of all the celebrations and happiness this Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Monday however, let us not forget the true importance of Easter.
It is not the bunnies, eggs or chocolate, but the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ which has ushered in a hope for life eternal. I want to also use this opportunity to wish you all a blessed and happy new month of April. I know that great things will surely happen and keep happening to all of us.
Thank you all so much for reading and commenting on my blog, supporting me in this exciting adventure of writing!
Fourteen students out of the hundreds who were abducted by suspected Boko haram Terrorists have escaped and have been reunited with their families.Others still being held by the terrorist group are being made to cook and wash dishes for the sect.according to Pointblank news.
According to governor Shettima ” The Female students escaped from an unidentified Boko Haram camp when they were asked to wash dishes while others were trying to prepare their meals.
We, as a state government will do our best to rescue the remaining students, we will give N50 Million to any one who can give us useful information that will assist us in rescuing the students.”
We have also requested parents and guidance to come up and report any of their missing girls. So far 50 students have been reported missing by Parents in Chibok” Gov. Shettima said.
19‑year‑old Pakistani, Iftikihar Muhammed Arslan, has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, for attempting to smuggle 25 parcels of heroin into the country.
The suspect, who claimed to be a student of Punjab College in Pakistan, was apprehended at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos, by the operatives when the illicit drug was discovered in his luggage during inward screening of passengers on board a Qatar airline flight.
We gathered that seized drugs weighing 25.400kg, have an estimated street value of N228 million.
Preliminary investigation has shown that the suspect left Lahore, Pakistan with the drugs to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, then Doha, in Qatar, from where he connected to Lagos. He is believed to be working for a Pakistani drug cartel.
Spokesman of the agency, Mr Mitchell Ofoyeju, who described the incident as the single largest seizure of heroin at the Lagos airport since January, said the NDLEA commander at the Lagos Airport, Mr. Hamza Umar, found the 25 parcels of brownish substance that tested positive for heroin hidden in a smaller bag inside the suspect’s luggage.
Ofoyeju said the suspect was cooperating with the agency’s team of investigators.
Meantime, Arslan, who speaks English fluently, confessed how he got the drugs.
According to him, “I am a student of Punjab College and I am in Nigeria as a tourist because my friend told me that Victoria Island and Ikoyi are beautiful tourist centres. Unfortunately, when I arrived at the Lagos airport, the heroin was found in my luggage. This is my first time of coming to Nigeria and I had intended to spend a week or two.”
In his reaction, Chairman/Chief Executive of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, who expressed delight over the arrest, said Nigeria was winning the fight against narcotics.
He said: “This arrest and seizure will further send a warning to drug trafficking cartels that Nigeria is winning the fight against narcotics. NDLEA is prepared to halt the criminal activities of drug barons through a coordinated drug detection strategies. We are working very hard to also identify other members of the criminal group.”
British international terrorist, ‘White Widow,’ real name Samantha Lewthwaite, may be the mastermind behind the horrific Monday attack in Nyanya, near Abuja.
While nobody has officially claimed responsibility 48 hours after the blast, UK security sources, according to reports, fear the bombing may have been a revenge attack for the death of Lewthwaite’s mentor— al-Shabaab terror chief Makaburi, A. K. A. Sheikh Abubakar Shariff Ahmed— two weeks ago.
A senior security source told UK’s Daily Star that agents across Africa were on high alert after the assassination of Makaburi, reportedly by the UK and US funded Kenyan Anti-Terror Police Unit, ATPU, 14 days ago, adding that Lewthwaite and her associates “wanted revenge.”
The source said: “Makaburi was always believed to be at the very top of the hierarchy of terror organisation, al-Shabaab. Intelligence suggests he introduced Samantha Lewthwaite to many influential figures within the al-Shabaab network.
“He guided her on her path to Jihad. His murder was seen as yet another act of war.”
Lewthwaite, 30, is believed to be in Nigeria, Kenya or Somalia, where Islamist terror networks are closely linked, making it far easier for her to evade detection than in Europe, the paper said.
The daughter of a British Army soldier, she is already on Interpol’s most wanted list in connection with seven murders and the siege of the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya, in September last year which left 67 dead and nearly 200 injured.
The paper said: “The world’s most wanted woman was reportedly caught at a checkpoint in Nigeria just six months ago, but managed to bribe her way to freedom.
“It is thought she commands enormous loyalty and power as a white convert female jihadist, having proved her worth in previous attacks.”
As both a mother and widow of a 7/7 bomber, she also provides the groups with invaluable propaganda.
The White Widow, who has been on the run since January 2012, got her grim nickname after husband Germaine Lindsay blew up a London Tube train in the 7/7 bombings in 2005.
Fifty six people were killed and more than 700 injured. Interpol has issued a rare ‘Red Notice’ for the White Widow’s arrest.
Lewthwaite, from Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, is believed to have widely used the alias ‘Natalie Webb’ and travelled on a forged South African passport. She is now officially being hunted by 190 countries and is one of the most wanted international fugitives in the world.
Police seized her laptop in 2011 and found details of how to build bombs and evidence she was planning multiple terrorist attacks both in Africa and the West.
She has also been linked to grenade attacks at non-Muslim places of worship in Africa and a terrorist attack on western football fans watching Euro 2012 in the Jericho bar in Mombasa.
Head of Interpol, Ronald Noble, said: “There is a global ‘tripwire’ for this fugitive. All 190 member-countries are aware of the danger posed by this woman, not just across the region but also worldwide.
No fewer than six persons were killed yesterday by people believed to be fulani gunmen in Agatu Local Government Area of the state. This latest attack occurred as various committees set up to restore peace in the state have started work.
According to the State House of Assembly member representing Agatu constituency, Sule Audu, the young victims had gone to the river bank to fetch sand for a building project when the gunmen attacked and killed them.
Audu, who stated that the corpses of the victims had been moved to Obagaji, the council headquarters, lamented that soldiers who were drafted to Agatu had continued to stay in Obagaji. He appealed to security agencies posted to Agatu not to restrict their movement to the council’s headquarters but to always move around and ensure peace in every communities in Agatu council area.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Daniel Ezeala, a Superintendent of Police, confirmed the report. He said that the remains of the six victims had been moved to the mortuary.
Just a Nigerians were struggling to free themselves from the horrific hangover of Monday’s suicide bombing, yesterday got another piece of bad news – the abduction of 100 girls at the Girls Senior Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State.
Eye witnesses recalled that the attack was like a scene from an action movie. The gunmen stormed the town in the night, shooting and burning. There was commotion. They then invaded the school where they killed a soldier and a policeman who were on guard.
The girls were preparing for their Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) when they were forcibly taken away by the gunmen around 3 a.m., The Nation learnt.
Chibok is a town close to the boundary between Borno and Adamawa states. It is on the edge of the Sambisa forest – the insurgent Boko Haram’s hideout.
The military has ordered troops to rescue the girls, who are believed to have been snatched by Boko Haram fighters. The sect detests Western education. Its name translates to “Western education is a sin”.
A resident, Joseph Walama, said the attackers were about 50, who stormed the town in a convoy of Toyota Hilux vehicles before unleashing terror on residents.
“They started arriving the town from about 10 p.m. in a convoy of seven Hilux vehicles and took control of the town. They set fire on residential and public buildings,’’ Walama said.
He said the attackers engaged in mass looting of food items and harassed residents at will.
“Then they suddenly headed for the Senior Secondary School, Chibok, which is a WAEC examination centre.
“Some of the teachers and students took to their heels on sighting them, but they eventually abducted those who remained in the hostel.
“They packed food items and the students into an abandoned lorry before heading for the Sambisa forest,’’ he said.
“Many girls were abducted by the rampaging gunmen who stormed the school in a convoy of vehicles,” Emmanuel Sam, an education official, told the French News Agency AFP
Borno Commissioner of Police Lawal Tanko confirmed the attack but said he did not have details of the incident.
A local government official said he did not know how many of the girls have escaped but that “many” have walked through the bushes and back to Chibok. The girls were piled into the back of an open truck and, as it was traveling, some grabbed at low-hanging branches to swing off while others jumped off the slow-moving vehicle, he said.
All schools in Borno state were closed three weeks ago because of an increasing number of attacks by militants who have killed hundreds of pupils in the past year. But the young women — aged between 16 and 18 — were recalled to take their final exams, the local government official explained.
Abducting girls as sex slaves has become the stock in trade of the Boko Haram insurgents.
When they attacked the school in Buni Yadi, Yobe State, some of the girls were also taken away.
The Defence Headquarters yesterday ordered troops to liberate the girls.
Some of the girls who jumped out of the Hilux vehicles used to abduct them are also being protected by troops, it was learnt yesterday.
The Defence Headquarters denied that up to 200 girls were abducted. It said there were 129 girls in the school at the time the insurgents arrived.
DHQ spokesman Maj-Gen Chris Olukolade said: “When the incident was reported, troops were swiftly mobilised to liberate the girls. The fact is that when they were being taken away, some of the girls jumped out of the vehicles and ran to the troops.
“These girls provided information on the route taken by their abductors. The route is being trailed as I am talking to you.”
He added: “The total number of girls in the school at that time was about 129. Not all the girls were abducted and some of those held by the insurgents escaped.
“So, the number was not up to 200. But our concern is that even if one school girl is abducted, we are determined to set such a person free from hostage by the insurgents. Troops have been ordered to liberate these girls; we are tracking them.
“All the girls who escaped from the insurgents are now being protected by troops.”
A top security source said: “From the courageous girls who escaped, we learnt that some of the insurgents are locals; they are known to them. It is something we are also investigating, to find out if there were issues in the area before the abduction.”
A girl, who managed to escape and wished not to be named, told the BBC she and fellow students were sleeping when armed men burst into their hostel.
“Three men came into our room and told us not to panic. We later found out later that they were among the attackers,” she said.
The girls said she and her schoolmates were taken away in a convoy, which had to slow down after some of the vehicles developed a fault.
Around 10 to 15 girls seized the opportunity to escape.
“We ran into the bush and waited until daybreak before we went back home,” she said.
Security agents seem to have got a clue. The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has seen the documents, a source told The Nation yesterday.
Some detectives were said to have been sent to Lagos to track down the owner, who did not provide enough data, according to sources.
The identification of the number plate came from the old registration data system which the FRSC is trying to replace because of some deficiencies.
While the search for the number plate owner continues, President Goodluck Jonathan has ordered Service Chiefs to fish out the perpetrators of the dastardly act in which scores of people most of them artisans and junior government workers, died.
He set the target after receiving a preliminary report on the bomb explosion.
The military has been directed to strengthen security within the perimeter of the Federal Capital Territory to prevent a reoccurrence of the explosion.
The FRSC is believed to have revealed the identity of the owner of XQ 229LSD number plate to the investigative team.
A source, who spoke in confidence, said: “We have got the first clue through the FRSC, which has given us the name of the owner of the number plate purportedly found on the Golf car which was used for the blast.
“The plate is the old number which the FRSC was trying to phase out. But some vital data (like the telephone number of the person) were not in the old system. It is left to investigators to work more on the lead to unravel the whereabouts of the owner.
“Some investigators are going to Lagos to dig into this aspect of the blast.”
A source in the FRSC said: “We have made the identity of the owner of the number-plate known to the appropriate authorities.
“I think the challenge at hand is that since more than 35 vehicles were involved, many number plates were also retrieved at the scene of the blast in Nyanya. So, there is need to establish through forensic analysis that XQ 229LSD plate was from the ill-fated Golf car.
“If Nigerians embrace the new registration system, we will have a comprehensive database for all vehicle owners.”
A security source spoke of how the President told the Service Chiefs to fish out the blood syndicate behind the dastardly act “to prove a point to Nigerians that we can fight terrorism”.
Said the source: “The Service Chiefs are determined to get to the roots of the blast. Already, a position has been harmonized to allow the police and the State Security Service (SSS) to investigate the incident.”
Responding to a question, the source added: “Security agencies had been proactive in the last two months, with the arrest of a sizeable number of suspects in the FCT. And what these agencies have been doing is to frisk these suspects and release them when nothing is found on them.
“We did the profiling of these arrested suspects before releasing them.”
The military has been directed to “strengthen security within the perimeter of the Federal Capital Territory. Troops will continue frisking at checkpoints.
Besides, plain-cloth security men have been deployed in vulnerable points (including motor-parks, boarding points, school premises, hospitals, recreational centres) in the FCT.
More Nigerians yesterday trooped out to the National Blood Transfusion Centre in Abuja to donate blood.
Leading the pack was Speaker of House of Representatives Aminu Tambuwal, who shelved overseas trip, to donate blood for the recuperating victims